Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Pork Fried Rice

A while back I bought a 1 lb pork loin from the Oklahoma Food Coop.  Since then it has been hanging out in the freezer waiting for me to figure out what to do with it.  It was too small for a roast, and that's pretty much my "go too" pork recipe.  So, finally I got the idea of doing a fried rice.  I'm not a big fan of rice but the hubby is so I try to accommodate him once or twice a year.  I also had some leeks (I really don't remember why) so I made pork fried rice with leeks and carrots.  Here goes:

3/4-1lb pork lion (1 small tenderloin or a couple of thick-cut pork chops would probably do)
2-3 large carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks
1 leek, halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
2-3T canola oil with 1T Sesame Oil
2 eggs
Splash of milk
1T butter
2 cups Minute brown rice, cooked according to package directions
Soy sauce to taste
1 C frozen peas

Fill a large bowl with water and add sliced leeks.  Separate them with your fingers and let soak in the water to rinse grit off of the leek.  Fish out the leeks and pat them dry on a kitchen towel.
Trim extra fat off of pork loin and slice paper thin.  Pre-heat a large skillet or wok with oil (both canola and sesame) to high.  Add pork and cook 1-2 minutes on each side until lightly browned.  Remove from heat and add veggies, minus garlic and ginger.  Cook veggies  until tender crisp, then add garlic and ginger (you can also add some hot peppers if you want).  Toss and cook for another minute or two.

While veggies are cooking, whisk eggs with milk and pre-heat a small skillet with 1T butter.  Add eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled.  Remove from heat and set aside.


To veggies, add pork, rice, and soy sauce to taste.  Stir and toss in eggs and peas.  Check taste and add more soy sauce if needed.  Top with sesame seeds if desired.  Use some chopsticks if you are that talented, I'm not.  Sushi and big chunks are fine, but rice, I just don't know how people do that!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment