Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos

I've been in a rut with my pork loin roast, making it the same old way every time.  Toss it in the slow cooker, add some bbq sauce, some apple sauce, some seasonings, onions and bell peppers, cook on low all day, serve on buns w/ extra bbq sauce and maybe some salad.  It's yummy but this weekend I got a hankering to try something different, slightly.  I came up with pulled pork tacos!  Mmmm....  I googled a recipe but couldn't find one that really "spoke" to me, or the ingredients in my kitchen!  So, as usual, I picked and chose what I liked best from all of the recipes and here is what I came up with:

1 pork loin roast, my store sells them in 1.7lb packages
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 fresno or jalapeno pepper, minced
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 T each chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper (one recipe I saw called for unsweetened cocoa powder, like mole sauce, if I had that I would  have used it but I didn't so I didn't!)
Pinch of chipotle chili flakes
1 T brown sugar

Rinse pork and trim off extra fat and connective tissue.  Place in slow cooker and top with veggies.  Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl and pour over the pork.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.  I started mine at 11 and turned it to low at 2.  By 4 it was perfect and I turned the heat off to let it sit until dinner time.  When ready to serve, remove the pork and some of the sauce (depending on how saucy you want it) to a large bowl.  Shred with two forks.

Spoon onto tortillas and top with desired toppings.  I used diced tomato, shredded lettuce, pepper jack cheese, and an avocado sour cream sauce (mix 1 avocado, heaping T sour cream, 1/2 a fresh lime).  Use the rest of the lime for your Negra Modelo!  Yummy yum yum.  The kids even ate it.  I think I see a new "rut" in my future.

1 comment:

  1. I love pulled pork from the slow cooker! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete