Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"A fair is a veritable smorgasbord orgasbord..."

One of my favorite children's books and movies is Charlotte's Web.  So, every year when the Cleveland County Free Fair opens, I am sooo there!  I traipse around checking out the tractors, the 4H displays, the goat roping, and all that country classic fabulous-ness.  Maybe I am a wanna-be farm girl!  Except for the work.  And the dirt.

This year, for extra fun, we had very good friends from Northern California visiting us and we had to take them.  Yes, that's right, they have Napa Valley, but we have tractor pulls and turkey legs!  The first thing we hit was the kiddie tractor track.  My daughter thought that she would rather cling to my leg and whine, but after seeing all of the fun the other kids were having, she decided to give it a try.  Pretty soon she was zooming around and testing every tractor option!

Next up was a good ole' hayride and a tour of the antique tractors.  My son loved these tractors.  He kept getting that slow, shy little smile at each one.  Talk about a boys' boy; he loves anything with wheels!

Once inside the barn, we of course had to ride the ponies.  Then we watched some goat roping and headed over to the petting zoo.  This was clearly the place to be as it was packed!  But those baby animals are just irresistible: little piglets, goslings, bunny rabbits, and more.  When I gave my son his very own baby bunny basket, the look on his face was priceless!  He has been such a wild monkey lately that it's easy so forget his sweet and cuddly side.  I could have taken that bunny home right there just to see that little grin every day.  Of course, then I remembered our childhood bunny and how stinky his cage was!  So, Mr, Bunny stayed a the fair.

Overall, it was a great day.  A little dirty, a little stinky, but an amazing array of fun and cool and strange things for the kids to do, see, and explore.  For a suburban kid, this is like a step back in time or a peek at a completely different lifestyle.  And it's FREE (mostly).  Find your local county fair, you will find yourself with one happy kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment