Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hold your horses, tiny diva!

My daughter is sweet.  She is smart.  She is strong and funny and about a hundred other great things.  She is also currently obsessed with princesses and "girl" things.  This wouldn't bother me quite as much if it was not so exclusive of the other many, many wonderful things that she used to enjoy.  Her lovely little rocking horse?  Nope, it's a "boy" thing and therefore, unfit to occupy space in her room.  I keep finding him shoved into the hallway with her door shut in his face.  Poor, poor Applesauce.  Her lifelong obsession with dinosaurs?  She is sooo over that.  It doesn't really matter that we have a sizable stash of dinosaur bone replicas for her upcoming dinosaur dig birthday party.  Nope, she does not love dinosaurs anymore.  They are not princesses.

About a hundred times a day I hear "I love princesses and princess castles, and ponies, and unicorns, and fairies, and rainbows, and jewelry, and tea parties, and all of the girl things."  Are you kidding me???  Truly, it's fine with me that she likes these things but how on earth did she one day determine that there are "boy" things and "girl" things and never should the two mix?

So yesterday I worked up the courage to ask her:  "What do you want to be for Halloween?"  Holding my breath, I steeled myself for the inevitable response of Ariel, Rapunzel, or some other Disney concoction.  "I want to be a monkey!"  She announced.  Whaaaat????  I could not contain my delight!  "A monkey?  That's wonderful, I think that's a great idea!  You will be a lovely monkey."  She looked at me for a moment before dropping the ax.  "A princess monkey Mommy.  I want to be a princess monkey."

Lord, help me get through the next couple of years with this one!



No comments:

Post a Comment