Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Girls' Day, With a Twist

Today, thanks to the wonders of my church's Mother's Day Out program, I get to spend the day with just my daughter doing girl things.  Sometimes we shop, sometimes we go to the amazing (free) art classes at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art , sometimes we get pedicures, you get the idea.  Today, we tried something a little different and unexpected. 

We had tacos.  From a truck.  On the side of the road.  Just me, my blond-haired, blue-eyed daughter, and about 10 Mexican men in jean and work boots, guzzling brightly colored sodas in large glass bottles and talking animatedly in their native language.  If it wasn't for the wind, it would have been glorious!  The food was great (a little spicy for a three-year-old), the atmosphere was authentic, and it was fun to just do something so out of the ordinary for us.  My daughter seemed to like it, until we got home and she still demanded her "regular" lunch.  Hmmm....we really are in a rut! 

Street food is just not something that you often see in suburban Oklahoma, but I'm interested to see that it's making huge headway.  There are a couple of other taco trucks in our town and Big Truck Tacos in Oklahoma City has a pretty evangelical following.  I haven't tried it but once people go there they seem practically possessed by the wonder of the place.  What the heck are they putting in those burritos???? 

Overall I'd say it was an experience worth having, and I'm thrilled to be giving my lunch money to an individual hand-making fresh food, rather than the corporate monolith that is your typical fast-food restaurant.  We will certainly try it again, although maybe on a less windy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment