Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

It's Nothin' But Norman this weekend!

Whew, if there is a festival or event in the state over the next three days, chances are it is here in Norman!  This is always a festival-y time of year, but this weekend might just take the cake.  Luckily, the weather is semi-cooperating.  As in, it's not cold or raining.  It IS astoundingly windy, but I guess we shouldn't complain too much.  Truly, there is so much going on this weekend that I'm just going to link you to the Norman Convention and Visitor's Bureau rather than add individual links.  Pardon my laziness!
It just so happened that my sweet hubby took Thursday and Friday off this week, so we get to start our weekend early.  Yesterday was golfing with the boys, but today he's ours!  We hit the May Fair Arts Festival at opening day, opening hour, and it's a good thing we did because the place was packed by the time we left!  The wind, as I said, was a bit much after a while but we still hit all the necessaries.  We played on an amazing seesaw hand built by the nicest old man ever.  We made art in the kid's art area, my daughter chose her colors for a tie-dye shirt ($5 people, you can't beat that), and we ooohhhhed and ahhhhed over the art.  This is such a fun and free-ish event.  Yes, you do have to pay for some of the kid's art projects, but the cost is minimal and they have such a good time.  I think their favorite part (besides the tie dye) was choosing their rock.  Let me explain: one of the jewelry booths had a bin of beautiful polished stones and they were $.25 each.  The kids loved digging through and choosing their "perfect" stone.  Um, totally worth 1/2 a dollar!

Tomorrow I hope to hit the 89er Day Parade and maybe the Norman Music Festival.  We  haven't been to either before but I hear they are great events.  There is also the Spring Art Market at the Jacobson House (an amazing place by the way).  They are going to have Indian tacos (practically an Oklahoma fair staple) and gourd dancing.  I don't know what the heck gourd dancing is but I love watching Native American dancing.  Brings tears to my eyes for a variety of reasons.  Mainly because motherhood has made me an emotional basket case, but that's for another post!
So, I'm hoping to get out and enjoy my town this weekend in all its glory.  And hopefully end up with happy and excited kids, or maybe exhausted and over-stimulated kids.  I guess we'll just wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment