Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Veggie Quiche

I don't know about you but my kids will eat anything nestled in eggs and surrounded by pastry.  What a great way to sneak in the veggies!  In April in Oklahoma, there is not a hug selection of local veggies at the farmer's market but they do have a couple of my favorites: green onions and asparagus.  I paired this with some mushrooms from J&M Farms (an Oklahoma-based business), and some Braums (another Oklahoma business) eggs.  So the ham is from Target, whatever, I'm not Barbara Kingsolver but at least I'm trying!  So, here is my recipe for Spring on a plate! 

1 small bunch thin asparagus, washed, trimmed of woody ends, and cut into 2 inch pieces
4-5 medium button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
4 green onions, chopped
2T butter, spread, or olive oil
6 large eggs
1/2 C milk
4 oz. feta cheese
Several slices chopped deli  ham
Sea salt, pepper, and chopped fresh parsley
1 deep dish frozen pie shell

Saute veggies in butter/oil until tender-crisp, about 8 minutes. 

Meanwhile, whip eggs with milk.  Add cheese, parsley, ham, and seasonings. 

Fill pie crust with veggie mixture, then egg mixture.  If necessary, use a spoon or spatula to evenly spread mixture.  Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked.  Serve warm, room temperature, whatever floats your boat!  This is what my "friend" Rachael Ray would call a BLD (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).  Yummity, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment