Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Overheard at the table...

Sometimes I think mealtime with a three-year-old and a two-year-old is enough to drive me to drink.  I have semi-seriously considered instituting a "no eating in the house rule."  Maybe if the weather is ever decent again we will move at least part of our meals outdoors.  Just the instructing and clean-up with these children through three meals a day plus snack is a monumental part of my day.  So, here are some of the things that typically are said at least a time or 20 during any given mealtime at my house.

"Sit on your bottom."
"Use your fork, not your fingers."
"Mommy has the same thing on her plate as you."
"Stop drinking your ketchup/salad dressing.  No, I will not get you more."
"Please say 'excuse me' when you make that noise."
"Get out from under the table."
"Stop digging your fork into the table."
"Eat like a little girl/boy not a doggie."
"No, you cannot have a cookie instead."
"Sit on your bottom."
"Eat at least two bites of everything."
"I'm sorry you don't like it but this is what's for dinner tonight and you need to eat some anyway."
"Get back in your chair."
"Stop picking your nose."
"This is the squash/pepper/whatever that YOU picked out.  This is YOUR special vegetable."
"Sit on your bottom."
"Get your fingers out of your drink."
And finally, from Hubby in his best/worst British accent:  "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Really, it's no wonder why I barely eat my dinner and then have waaaay too many snacks after they go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment