Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Book Clubs, precious mommy time disguised as something scholarly!

Today was the perfect day to wrap my hands around a warm cup of hazelnut coffee and spend some quality time with a couple of girlfriends. And I don't even have to feel bad about abandoning my husband with a pile of homework and two kids 'cuz, hey, it's BOOK CLUB! Clearly that is something important, intellectual, necessary almost. Really, we do almost always discuss the book for at least 10 or 15 minutes of the nearly 2 hours we spend sipping coffee and chatting.

Kidding aside, it is so important to take time occasionally and just sit with friends and discuss all of the large and small troubles and triumphs of life. And a book does provide a great sounding board for some great conversation. So, maybe you don't line-by-line discuss the book, but it's still there as a catalyst for conversation. Unless you spend the two hours discussing shoe shopping and toddler tantrums, and if that's the case, rock on sister! Everyone needs that from time to time too. In this hectic life we lead, something as simple as a quiet afternoon with people who make you happy and somewhat understand you can be a great recharger. Especially when Monday morning is barreling at you with the speed of an angry freight train. For your reading pleasure, here is a list of some (in my opinion) great books for mom discussions:

Anything by Sarah Addison Allen (just for fun)
Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner
The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
I'd Trade My Husband for a Housekeeper by Trisha Ainsworth and Amy Nobile Bad Mommy by Ayelet Waldman (or really, any of her books)

There are lots of wonderful books out there for great discussions, and my group tends to read a pretty diverse mix of classic and modern, "mom" books and otherwise. But, in keeping with the purpose of this blog, I just thought I'd toss out a few particularly mom-centric ideas. Except for Sarah Addison Allen, she really has nothing to do with moms, I just can't seem to have a discussion about good books to read and not gush about her. Truly, half of the citizens of the small town where I pretend to be a librarian have had her books thrust into their hands by myself or my also-Allen-obsessed coworker who shall remain unnamed because she neglected to inform me about the upcoming release of Allen's latest book so that she could get ahead of me on the hold list, but I'm right there behind you Shannon! Pant, pant, pant. Sorry, betcha didn't know librarians were so competitive! Soooo, anyway.  Book club, it's good for the soul.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to you, Julie! I love reading your blog and I love our time spent together. Thanks for this heartwarming read.

    ReplyDelete