Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Perfect Pizza Sauce

1 T extra-virgin olive oil 1 medium shallot, minced 1 large garlic clove, minced 1 small can no salt added tomato sauce Coarse ground black pepper Dried oregano Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped Preheat oil in small saucepan and add shallot. Cook on medium heat until semi-tender. Add garlic, reduce heat to medium-low (you do NOT want to burn the garlic). Cook for a couple of minutes, then add tomato sauce and seasonings, except parsley. Turn heat to low, stir, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, add parsley, smear on pizza crust with your favorite toppings and say yum yum! This sauce can be easily converted to enchilada sauce. Use 1/2 medium onion instead of shallot, double the amount of tomato sauce, and add 1t cumin and a pinch of cinnamon. Viola, two sauces in one!!! Pizza is a great way to sneak veggies into food your kids are almost guaranteed to eat. Here are my favorite kid-friendly, healthy pizza toppings: Turkey pepperoni, sliced fresh mushrooms, halved cherry or grape tomatoes, and a few fresh spinach leaves (hide them under the cheese if you must). As for cheese, grate you own if possible. It is literally 1/4 the prize of the shredded stuff, and the shredded cheese always seems to have some sort of suspicious coating on it. Yes, I am aware of my own food paranoia, but it's not an issue that I feel like tackling at this point in my life! Pizza pizza!

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking of making pizza at home and now I'm going to do it! I think I'm going to use the bread machine to make the dough. =)

    ReplyDelete